Tuesday, August 16, 2011

the couch from hell

So when Bryan and i got married 5 years ago we were a little short on cash as I'm sure you can imagine being that we were 18 and 21 years old so we didn't have much in the way of furniture or money with which to purchase anything nice. The only piece of furniture that we bought new was our mattress and box spring and even that is only as nice as it is because I happened to work at Macy's at the time and it was discontinued so it was marked down and I bought it during extra employee discount day so we got an awesome deal. The rest of our furniture was either hand me downs or stuff we'd both already owned from childhood (ok that is still mostly the case)

anyway...

we ended up buying a couch from my old neighbors for pretty cheap and it was in ok condition considering the fact that it was older than I am. It lasted us through our first couple of years of marriage but when Carson was a little over a year old he grabbed onto a part of it and pulled and it came apart exposing the sharp part of the upholstery staples...so buh-bye went the now dangerous couch...didn't want anyone putting an eye out or anything.

As a replacement we bought a couch off of craigslist for like $40, it seemed really nice at first glance, was plenty comfortable, however they left out one very important detail, they had cats, and I'm pretty sure those cats lived on that couch, however since they'd vacuumed it (I assume that's what they did anyway) it didn't look like it when we got it...but after sitting on it for a bit, and after falling asleep on it...I was in super hive mode, and upon further inspection of the undersides of the cushions, it had quite a bit of cat hair. I'm allergic to cats.

So then we got yet another couch on craigslist. For FREE, and cat-free (I asked if they'd ever so much as owned cats in the time they'd owned the couch, they had not). It isn't terribly horrible looking, though it is quite threadbare, however it had a pretty big flaw...the edge where your knees bend is wood covered in fabric, so when you sit there with your knees bent over a 2x4, they tend to go numb, its not so comfy. But we lived with it, we didn't exactly have money to buy a new one or anything. And then this week we were moving, and I said to my husband that I did not want to bring this couch with us, that I want to be a real adult with a couch that is not a piece of crap and even if it meant we didn't have a couch at all until we could save up for a nicer one, I was not moving with something that was uncomfortable and ugly and I was just done with crappy couches.

Then life happened and before we moved I did not get a chance to list it for free on craigslist (where we lived anything marked free goes in a matter of hours) so we decided we would just load it in the moving truck and drop in off at goodwill on the way to return the uhaul. Except we get to goodwill and they tell us that they don't take hide a bed couches...but salvation army does. So we go to Salvation Army, and they tell us that they only take couches in like new condition, ours was not horrible, but certainly not new...so they tell us we can take it to this other place, except when we get there they tell us that it will cost $40 to give it to them.

We seriously could not get rid of the couch.

It is now sitting on my in-laws driveway awaiting a new home...I have it listed on craigslist for free and everything.

I just want it to GO AWAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment